From the front page of the Bevier Appeal
dated Friday, 8 July 1904

Donated by: Sandra Stanton

Family Items

Wm. A. Watkins and wife went to St.Louis Wednesday where they will attend the World's Fair.

Mathew Grey of near Callao called at this office Saturday and renewed his subscription for the Appeal.

Born at Keota, Mo., on Friday, June 24, 1904, to the wife of G.L. Thomas, manager of the Central store, a boy.

Miss Winnie Jones went to New Cambria Saturday to visit with her aunt, Mrs. James T. Davis and family north of that town.

C.F.Hale and wife and their cousin, Miss Mabel Richards, returned Tuesday night from a visit to the World's Fair at St. Louis.

Miss Hattie Evans, who has had charge as teacher of Prairie school for the summer term just closed, left Saturday for her home in Marceline.

James Moser and wife and child, of Dawn, came here Saturday and remained until Tuesday the guests of Mrs. Moser's sister, Mrs. Al(mark on page-can't read) James and husband.

Mrs. E.E. Brammer and children of Brookfield, came here Sunday to visit a few days with her brother, M.S. Thomas and other relatives. She returned home Wednesday morning.

T.D. Thomas, sr., and wife returned home yesterday from a ten days visit to the World's Fair at St. Louis. They are delighted with their visit and greatly enjoyed the magnificent sights at the Fair.

Mrs. J.W. White, of Texas, who had been visiting last week here with her brother, Edward Jochims and wife, returned to Macon Sunday, accompanied by her father and other relatives who had been spending the day here.

Owen Evans, of Huntsville, came here Friday to visit his sister, Mrs. John Thomas and family. He went to New Cambria Saturday and remained until Tuesday the guest of friends. He returned Wednesday to Huntsville accompanied by his neice (sic), Miss Winnie Thomas, who will make a visit with him and relatives there.

Mrs. Belle Scheller and two sons, John and James, and daughter, Miss Mariam, of Frostburg, Maryland, are here the guest of the former's daughter, Mrs. Richard S. Thomas and family and will make an extended stay. Mrs. Thomas and children accompanied by her mother and sister went to New Cambria Sunday and remained for several days to visit with friends.

Mrs. Wm. L. Thomas has been seriously sick with fever but is now slowly improving.

Mrs. Ed. Rowland and three daughters, Misses Ida, Elizabeth and Matilda, of Pocatello, Idaho, arrived yesterday and will remain for a week or two the guests of the former's mother-in-law, Mrs. Ephraim Rowland and family.

D.D. Jones and bride arrived here last week from chicago. Where they wer married Wednesday, June (can't read day); and are the guests of Mr. Jones' parents' Lewis D. Jones and wife. Bevier people extend him and his bride their best wishes for a long and happy voyage through life together.

Homer Walter and wife and little son went to Ardmore Sunday to make a visit with relatives.

Charles Barnes returned Monday night from a several days visit with friends at Ardmore.

Born at their home southwest of this city, on Monday morning, July 4, 1904, to Mr. and Mrs. Thomas J. Jones, a girl.

D. T. Owen and little daughter, Calentbe, went to New Cambria Sunday and visited with friends there for a few days.

Mrs. Daniel T. Edwards and neice (sic), Miss Edith James, who had been attending the World's Fair at St. Louis, returned home Friday.

John L. Jones left Friday for his home at Diamond, Indiana, after a short stay here the guest of his cousins, Elder and Mrs. Frances A. Evans.

Misses Lizzie and Sallie Phillips were the guest of their sister, Mrs. J.G. Lloyd and husband of New Cambria from Sunday over the fourth.

Addison Orr came home Saturday to spend a few days with his family. He returned Tuesday to Huntsville where he has been working for some time.

W.H. Wilkinson and children, Marion, Tommy and Vivie, left Tuesday morning to make a visit with his parents and other relatives in Dalles County, MO.

Wm. H. Thomas, of St. Louis, came here Saturday to make a visit with his parents, David D. Thomas and wife and remained until Tuesday morning. He spent the Fourth at New Cambria.

Mrs. James E. Rogers and son and daughter, David J. and Miss Lizzie, of Moberly, came here last week and remained until yesterday the pleasant guests of the former's mother, Mrs. Elizabeth Harris and other relatives. Mrs. Rogers' neice(sic), Miss Sarah J. Heather, who had been here visiting her mother, Mrs. Mary Heather and family, also returned yesterday to Moberly, where she has been staying for some time.

George Richards, George Frame, Charles Wardell, Richard M. Jones and F.T. Mussell left Monday for Pittsburg, Kansas, to represent Local Union 919 at the Interstate convention of the United Mine workers which convened Wednesday. The organized coal miners of Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, Indian Territory and Texas are represented in the convention. After the close of the convention the joint conference of the operators and miners of the states named will meet to arrange a scale for the coming year.

For Sale:
Six room house and lot, with good rock foundation and cellar, and two wells, on Linn street, Bevier. For particulars inquire of B.W.Thomas Bevier, MO

Welsh Cong'l Church
Pastor Thomas Evans will preach next Sunday morning at 10:30. sunday school at 2 p.m. Evening service will be conducted in English at 6:30; the pastor will preach. All are invited.

First Baptist Church
Sunday school at 9:30 Sunday morning. Rev. John B. Richards will preach at 10:30 and also to the evening at 7 o'clock. All are welcome.

Howard Sharp to Serve Sentence.
City Marshal Brush arrested Howard Sharp last Monday morning, in accordance with a request made in a telegram he received from sheriff Burton of Monroe County, which stated that the decision of the lower court sentencing Sharp to the penitratiary for ten years for the killing of Robert Soneking in December 1901, had been affirmed by the supreme court. Sheriff Burton arrived later and left that afternoon with his prisoner for Monroe county. Sharp's attorney was J.H.Whitecotton who was charged with mutilating the records in the case. Sharp has a wife and two small children and has lived here nearly a year, being employed as driver by the saloon firm of Quinn & Thomas


Married, at the home of the bride's parents, east of this city, on Monday, July 4, 1904, at 9 o'clock p.m., Mr. Eli Skinner and Miss Margaret E. Hill, both of Bevier, Rev. W.H. Skinner performing the ceremony.

It was a very pretty wedding, everything being very nicely arranged, those present being the relatives of the contracting parties. A wedding march was played by the bride's brother, John Hill, as the bridal party came into the room where the ceremony took place. Thomas Hill, brother of the bride, was the groom's best man and the bridesmaid was the groom's sister, Miss Dosia Skinner. Following the congratulations all enjoyed a bountiful supper prepared for the occasion.

The bride is an attractive and amiable young lady of pleasing disposition and is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Hill. The groom is the son of Rev. and Mrs. W.R.Skinner of this city, and is a member of the city bakery firm, Skinner & Vansickle. He is a fine young man and is highly respected. The Appeal joins the young couple's host and friend in extending congratulations and in wishing them much happiness and prosperity.

They will make their home for the present with the bride's parents.

Mrs. Lawmaster Killed Through Runaway.

Mrs. Arra Lawmaster of northeast Bevier, met with a shocking accident about 6 o'clock last Friday evening, which resulted in her death an hour or so later.

Deceased had been doing some trading in the Mayhew store south of the railroad and with her two children had started to drive north in a one horse wagon but had stopped to wait for a train, which blocked the road, to move.

At this time in some way the team of Ben Davis had got frightened in coming down Welsh Hill and ran away. Opposite J.H. Hart's new building the wagon struck against the brick used in the construction on the building and the driver was thrown out and the horses got loose carrying the neck yoke with them. When they came up to Mrs. Lawmaster's vehicle they reared and moved on each side of it and the neck yoke swept the seat and the occupants off the wagon and the horses ran on. The two children were thrown out but Mrs. Lawmaster, who was unconscious, was hanging over the doubletree, and the train having moved the frightened horse ran up town and on to Nisbeth's store. She was removed to the store of J.W.Nisbeth, where her husband, Elmer Lawmaster was present to administer on her. Her head was terribly gashed and crushed by being kicked by the horse and she never regained consciousness and died between 7 and 8 o'clock. The youngest child escaped, with slight injury but the other was painfully though not dangerously hurt. The heartfelt sympathy of the whole community is extended to the bereaved husband and relatives in this terrible affliction.

Decreased was the daughter of James Patrick and wife of near Bloomington and a granddaughter of A.J. Sneed of Bevier. She was much respected a worthy (unable to read) christian lady.

A great number of people attended the funeral from the family residence near Watson's mine northeast of Bevier Sunday afternoon, a large delegation of the Companions of the Forest lodge of Bevier, of which deceased was a member, being present. The remains were laid in the cemetery at Bloomington, where services were conducted by Rev. W.R. Skinner, uncle of deceased at the Methodist church, which was by far too small to hold the congregation.

Ernie Miles- - - - last updated Thursday, 17-Apr-2008 17:24:24 MDT.