From the front page of the Bevier Appeal
dated Friday, 20 January 1905

Donated by: Sandra Stanton

Family Items

Death of Frankie Lewis.

Died, at their home near No. 3, Bevier, on Friday, Jan. 6, 1905, at 10:20 o'clock a.m. Frankie Rees Lewis, son of Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Lewis, aged 13 years, 6 months and 21 days.
He had been sickly for a long time but he possessed a courageous heart and disposition that made him overcome and dominate often his suffering and physical weakness. He was greatly beloved by all, and old and wise in his ways far beyond his years. The cause of his death was the dreaded Bright's disease, and the end came very suddenly and unexpectedly as he managed to get up and dress himself that morning. The death of little Frankie has been a most severe shock to the grief stricken parents and other relatives and all deeply sympathize with them.
The funeral took place Sunday afternoon when the remains were taken to the L.D.S. new house of worship, where Elder J.A. Tanner conducted the services and a large crowd attended in the city cemetery.

Rev. R.L. Sparrow of Atlanta, will preach at the Second Baptist church Saturday night and Sunday.

Born, on Thursday, January 5, 1905, to the wife of W. H. Roberts (blacksmith) a 13 lb. boy.

Miss Mayme Andrews returned Tuesday from a few days visit with friends in Ardmore.

Born, Sunday, January 8, 1905, to the wife of Alfred James, a girl.

Mrs. Sophia Thomas has been confined to her home with an attack of sickness since last week.

Mr. and Mrs. W.s. Thomas' son Ray has been very sick during the past week.

Rev. Thomas Griffiths of Dawn came to Bevier Tuesday morning to see his friend the Editor of the Bevier Appeal who is very sick.

Miss Anna B. Holland, Bevier's Primary teacher was called to her home in Caliao the first of the this week on account of the illness of her sister.

Born, Sunday morning, January 8, 1905, to the wife of Edward Jochims, a girl.

R.S. Thomas returned from Jefferson City Saturday where he had been for about two weeks looking after his interests.

Misses Nellie Rees and Monique Kealey returned home last week from a visit with friends at New Cambria.

The printer acknowledges with thanks the receipt, through the hands of Mrs Moroni Jones of this city, of a renewal on subscription for the Appeal for her sister, Mrs. R.D. Thomas and husband of Crawford, Idaho.

Prof. A.T. Powell and wife visited their many Bevier friends last Monday. They visited Central school and also No.3 school. They are on their way to Columbia where they will both enter the Missouri University. They expect to reain there through the summer.

Born Wednesday, Jan. 18, 1905 to the wife of P.J. Raw, a girl.

P.J. Raw returned home Monday morning after a pleasant visit at Kansas City with his sister-in-law, Mrs. G.O. Sherman and family.

Mrs. G. H. McCullough of southwest Bevier, Mo., who has been quite sick for two weeks with bronchial trouble is still confined to her home.

Death of Richard Ellis.
Died, at his home of Mr. and Mrs. Richard L. Williams north of Bevier, on Tuesday, January 10, 1905, at 5:30 o'clock a.m. Mr. Richard Ellis, aged 63 years, 9 months, and 10 day.
Richard Ellis, son of John and Margare Ellis was born March 31, 1841, in Henwalia, Caermarvonshire, N. Wales. Was married to Miss Jane Jones, of Caermarvon Jan. 20, 1864. They came to the United States 35 years ago, and lived Bangor, Pa., from there they moved to Plymouth, Pa; leaving Plymouth they moved to Southwest Missouri, and settled in Bevier 27 years ago. Mrs. Ellis died March 4, 1893.
His health has never been good since was hurt in the mines nearly ten years ago when he had his knee dislocated. He stayed a great deal in the last years of his life, off and on, with Thomas Holvay and wife, but for the last year he stayed continuously with his sister, Mrs. Richard L. Williams and family, having been very low and unable to leave the house during all this time. Death was the result of a complication of dropsy and heart disease.
The surviving relatives are one brother and two sisters: Owen Ellis, of N. Wales; Mrs. Eliza Parry of Glaumonganshire, S.Wales; and Mrs Richard L. Williams of Bevier.
The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Thomas Evans, pastor of the Welsh Cong'l church of which the Deceased had been a true and faithful member for many years. He was respected and loved by all who knew him, and is known to have remembered and assisted many when in need without show or ostentation. He was "Sustained and soothed by an unfalter trust" . He sleeps in Jesus. It is well.
We extend our hearfelt sympathy to the relatives and friends in their bereavement.

Waldo Edwards and Ed. S. Jones who had been visiting at their homes here during the holidays returned Monday to resume their studeis at the state university at Columbia.

Miss Elizabeth Watkins returned from New Cambria after a week's visit with friends.

Col. W.H. Butler, of Macon, visited Bevier on business Wednesday.


Married, at the home of the bride's parents, east of this city, on Monday, July 4, 1904, at 9 o'clock p.m., Mr. Eli Skinner and Miss Margaret E. Hill, both of Bevier, Rev. W.H. Skinner performing the ceremony.

It was a very pretty wedding, everything being very nicely arranged, those present being the relatives of the contracting parties. A wedding march was played by the bride's brother, John Hill, as the bridal party came into the room where the ceremony took place. Thomas Hill, brother of the bride, was the groom's best man and the bridesmaid was the groom's sister, Miss Dosia Skinner. Following the congratulations all enjoyed a bountiful supper prepared for the occasion.

The bride is an attractive and amiable young lady of pleasing disposition and is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Hill. The groom is the son of Rev. and Mrs. W.R.Skinner of this city, and is a member of the city bakery firm, Skinner & Vansickle. He is a fine young man and is highly respected. The Appeal joins the young couple's host and friend in extending congratulations and in wishing them much happiness and prosperity.

They will make their home for the present with the bride's parents.

Mrs. Lawmaster Killed Through Runaway.

Mrs. Arra Lawmaster of northeast Bevier, met with a shocking accident about 6 o'clock last Friday evening, which resulted in her death an hour or so later.

Deceased had been doing some trading in the Mayhew store south of the railroad and with her two children had started to drive north in a one horse wagon but had stopped to wait for a train, which blocked the road, to move.

At this time in some way the team of Ben Davis had got frightened in coming down Welsh Hill and ran away. Opposite J.H. Hart's new building the wagon struck against the brick used in the construction on the building and the driver was thrown out and the horses got loose carrying the neck yoke with them. When they came up to Mrs. Lawmaster's vehicle they reared and moved on each side of it and the neck yoke swept the seat and the occupants off the wagon and the horses ran on. The two children were thrown out but Mrs. Lawmaster, who was unconscious, was hanging over the doubletree, and the train having moved the frightened horse ran up town and on to Nisbeth's store. She was removed to the store of J.W.Nisbeth, where her husband, Elmer Lawmaster was present to administer on her. Her head was terribly gashed and crushed by being kicked by the horse and she never regained consciousness and died between 7 and 8 o'clock. The youngest child escaped, with slight injury but the other was painfully though not dangerously hurt. The heartfelt sympathy of the whole community is extended to the bereaved husband and relatives in this terrible affliction.

Decreased was the daughter of James Patrick and wife of near Bloomington and a granddaughter of A.J. Sneed of Bevier. She was much respected a worthy (unable to read) christian lady.

A great number of people attended the funeral from the family residence near Watson's mine northeast of Bevier Sunday afternoon, a large delegation of the Companions of the Forest lodge of Bevier, of which deceased was a member, being present. The remains were laid in the cemetery at Bloomington, where services were conducted by Rev. W.R. Skinner, uncle of deceased at the Methodist church, which was by far too small to hold the congregation.

Ernie Miles- - - - last updated Thursday, 17-Apr-2008 17:24:21 MDT.